I am currently a Ph.D. researcher in Music Technology at the Input Devices and Music Interaction Laboratory (IDMIL) and Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Media Music and Technology (CIRMMT). My interests are in piano pedagogy, pianists’ expressive gestures, and motion capture techniques. My main research goals are to understand further musicians’ gestures and their meaning in order to design and implement pedagogical software using real-time feedback to help students and pedagogues develop strategies to enrich expression in performance. I seek to define better the role of the different parts of the body in various performance styles and their link with musical expression, as well as how those gestures are perceived and interpreted by audience members.
- Musical gestures
- Piano performance and effective teaching strategies
- Acquisition, tracking, recognition, and synthesis of gestures
- Real-time visual feedback
- Perception and embodied music theory
- Ph.D. (currently) Music Technology, McGill University, Montreal
- MA Music Education, McGill University, Montreal, 2013
- BMus Piano Performance, Université de Montréal, Montreal, 2011
Projects:. Motion Analysis of Romantic Piano Performances
- Massie-Laberge, C., Cossette, I., Wanderley, M.M. (2016). Motion Kinematics and Auditors’ Perception of Expressive Gesture in Romantic Piano Performances. San Francisco, USA, In proceedings of ICMPC 2016 International Conference for Music Perception and Cognition.
- Massie-Laberge, C., Cossette, I., Wanderley, M.M. (2016). Hearing the Gesture: Perception of Body Actions in Romantic Piano Performances. San Francisco, USA, In proceedings of ICMPC 2016 International Conference for Music Perception and Cognition.
- Massie-Laberge, C. (2014). Toward a systematized pedagogy of musical expression: an observational study of instrumental teaching. McGill University, Montreal, Canada, .
- Massie-Laberge, C., Cossette, I., Wanderley, M.M. (2019). Kinematic Analysis of Pianists’ Expressive Performances of Romantic Excerpts: Applications for Enhanced Pedagogical Approaches. Montreal, Canada, Frontiers in Psychology.
- Massie-Laberge, C., Cossette, I., Wanderley, M.M. (2018). Kinetic Analysis of Hip Motion During Piano Playing. Genoa, Italy, Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Movement Computing (MOCO'18).