Co-director, Graphics and Experiential Media (GEM) Lab
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University
B.A. (Music) – Dalhousie University (Canada) 2000
M.A. (Music Technology) – McGill University (Canada) 2007
Ph.D. (Music Technology), McGill University (Montreal) 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellowship (Human Computer Interaction), Inria/Université Paris-Sud XI
My research focuses on Human Computer Interaction, especially as applied to creative and expressive interaction with digital tools. I create new digital musical instruments (including the T-Stick and the Spine) and intermedia mapping tools (including libmapper and its surrounding ecosystem of tools). I am also interested in appropriating tools and approaches from performative and artistic interaction and applying them to human-computer activities that are normally considered to be prosaic such as target selection, command invocation, and text entry.
- Haptics: Tactile and Force-Feedback
- Hardware Development
- Interface Design
- Interface Evaluation
- Software Development
- (2014). Advances in the Design of Mapping for Computer Music. In Computer Music Journal. Wanderley, M.M., Malloch, J. (Eds.).
- Malloch, J., Sinclair, S., Wanderley, M.M. (2018). Generalized Multi-Instance Control Mapping for Interactive Media Systems. In IEEE Multimedia (pp. 39-50).
- Wang, J., Malloch, J., Huot, S., Chevalier, F., Wanderley, M.M. (2017). Versioning and Annotation Support for Collaborative Mapping Design. In Sound and Music Computing.
- Wang, J., Malloch, J., Sinclair, S., Wilansky, J., Krajeski, A., Wanderley, a.M.M. (2019). Webmapper: A Tool for Visualizing and Manipulating Mappings in Digital Musical Instruments. In 14th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research. Marseille, France.
- Malloch, J., Wanderley, M.M. (2007). The T-Stick : From Musical Interface to Musical Instrument. In Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (pp. 66--69). New York City, NY, United States.
- Nieva, A., Wang, J., Malloch, J., Wanderley, M.M. (2018). The T-Stick: Maintaining a 12 year-old digital musical instrument. In New Interfaces for Musical Expression (pp. 198–199). Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Malloch, J., Sinclair, S., Wanderley, M.M. (2015). Distributed Tools for Interactive Design of Heterogeneous Signal Networks. In Multimedia Tools and Applications (pp. 5683-5707).
- Barbosa, J., Malloch, J., Huot, S., Wanderley, M.M. (2015). What does ‘Evaluation’ mean for the NIME community?. In NIME 2015 - Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression. Baton Rouge, USA.
- Malloch, J., Garcia, J., Wanderley, M.M., Mackay, W.E., Beaudouin-Lafon, M., Huot, S. (2019). A Design Workbench for Interactive Music Systems. In New Directions in Music and Human-Computer Interaction. (pp. 23-40). Holland, S., Mudd, T., Wilkie-McKenna, K., McPherson, A., Wanderley, M.M. (Eds.). Springer, Cham.