Ph.D. Researcher (alumni)
Masters Student (alumni)
Co-director, Graphics and Experiential Media (GEM) Lab
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University
B.A. (Music) – Dalhousie University (Canada) 2000
M.A. (Music Technology) – McGill University (Canada) 2007
Ph.D. (Music Technology), McGill University (Montreal) 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellowship (Human Computer Interaction), Inria/Université Paris-Sud XI
My research focuses on Human Computer Interaction, especially as applied to creative and expressive interaction with digital tools. I create new digital musical instruments (including the T-Stick and the Spine) and intermedia mapping tools (including libmapper and its surrounding ecosystem of tools). I am also interested in appropriating tools and approaches from performative and artistic interaction and applying them to human-computer activities that are normally considered to be prosaic such as target selection, command invocation, and text entry.
- Haptics: Tactile and Force-Feedback
- Hardware Development
- Interface Design
- Interface Evaluation
- Software Development
- (2014). Advances in the Design of Mapping for Computer Music. In Computer Music Journal. Wanderley, M. M., Malloch, J. (Eds.).
- Malloch, J., Sinclair, S., Wanderley, M. M. (2018). Generalized Multi-Instance Control Mapping for Interactive Media Systems. In IEEE Multimedia (pp. 39-50).
- Wang, J., Malloch, J., Huot, S., Chevalier, F., Wanderley, M. M. (2017). Versioning and Annotation Support for Collaborative Mapping Design. In Sound and Music Computing.
- Wang, J., Malloch, J., Sinclair, S., Wilansky, J., Krajeski, A., Marcelo Wanderley, a. M. (2019). Webmapper: A Tool for Visualizing and Manipulating Mappings in Digital Musical Instruments. In 14th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research. Marseille, France.
- Malloch, J., Wanderley, M. M. (2007). The T-Stick : From Musical Interface to Musical Instrument. In Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (pp. 66--69). New York City, NY, United States.
- Nieva, A., Wang, J., Malloch, J., Wanderley, M. M. (2018). The T-Stick: Maintaining a 12 year-old digital musical instrument. In New Interfaces for Musical Expression (pp. 198–199). Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Malloch, J., Sinclair, S., Wanderley, M. M. (2015). Distributed Tools for Interactive Design of Heterogeneous Signal Networks. In Multimedia Tools and Applications (pp. 5683-5707).
- Barbosa, J., Malloch, J., Huot, S., Wanderley, M. M. (2015). What does ‘Evaluation’ mean for the NIME community?. In NIME 2015 - Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression. Baton Rouge, USA.
- Malloch, J., Garcia, J., Wanderley, M. M., Mackay, W. E., Beaudouin-Lafon, M., Huot, S. (2019). A Design Workbench for Interactive Music Systems. In New Directions in Music and Human-Computer Interaction. (pp. 23-40). Holland, S., Mudd, T., Wilkie-McKenna, K., McPherson, A., Wanderley, M. M. (Eds.). Springer, Cham.
- Malloch, J. (2007). A Consort of Gestural Musical Controllers: Design, Construction, and Performance. In M.A. thesis, McGill University. Montreal, Canada.
- Malloch, J., Sinclair, S., Wanderley, M. M. (2007). From controller to sound: Tools for collaborative development of digital musical instruments. In Proceedings of the 2007 International Computer Music Conference (pp. 65–72). Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Malloch, J., Sinclair, S., Wanderley, M. M. (2008). A network-based framework for collaborative development and performance of digital musical instruments. In Proc. of Computer Music Modeling and Retrieval 2007 Conference (CMMR2007) (pp. 401–425). Berlin, Germany.
- Malloch, J. (2013). A Framework and Tools for Mapping of Digital Musical Instruments. In Ph.D. thesis, Music Technology. Montreal, Canada.
- Malloch, J., Wanderley, M. M. (2017). Embodied Cognition and Digital Musical Instruments: Design and Performance. In The Routledge Companion to Embodied Music Interaction (pp. 438–447). Lesaffre, M., Leman, M., Maes, P. (Eds.).