Masters Student (alumni)
Travis West is a multidisciplinary programmer, composer-performer, and musical instrument designer. His research explores the design of gestural interfaces, sound synthesis algorithms, and the mappings made between the two. These inquiries culminate in the creation of new digital musical instruments and interactive systems such as the body:suit:score, a full-body wearable vibrotactile musical score, and the mubone, a trombone-enabled digital-acoustic musical instrument made in collaboration with trombonist Kalun Leung. Travis completed his Bachelor in Electroacoustic Music Composition at Concordia University in 2017, and his M.A. in Music Technology at McGill University in 2020.
Since September 2020 he is a Ph.D. candidate in Music Technology in a co-tutelle with the Université de Lille, and in collaboration with and Inria Lille-Nord Europe, France. Supervisors: Marcelo M. Wanderley, Stéphane Huot (Inria Lille – Nord Europe, France)
- West, T., Caramiaux, B., Wanderley, M. M. (2020). Making Mappings: Examining the Design Process. In Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression.
- West, T. (2020). Making Mappings: Examining the Design Process with Libmapper and the T-Stick. In M.A. Thesis, McGill University (pp. 78). Montreal, Canada.
- West, T., Caramiaux, B., Huot, S., Wanderley, M. M. (2021). Making Mappings: Design Criteria for Live Performance. In Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME 2021). Shanghai, China.
- Fukuda, T., Meneses, E., West, T. J., Wanderley, M. M. (2021). The T-Stick Music Creation Project: An approach to building a creative community around a DMI. In Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME 2021). Shanghai, China.
- Wanderley, M. M., West, T., Rohs, J., Meneses, E. A. L., Frisson, C. (2021). The IDMIL Digital Audio Workbench: An interactive online application for teaching digital audio concepts. In Audio Mostly 2021 Conference. Trento, Italy.
- Turchet, L., West, T., Wanderley, M. M. (2020). Touching the Audience: Musical Haptic Wearables for augmented and participatory live music performances. In Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. Springer.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org